Tuesday 25 February 2014

Apartment search, part II (the end)

“No, you cannot pay for a money order by credit card.  Either debit card, or cash.  Do you have a Canadian bank account?”

”I do, but no money on it yet.”

”I see.  Could you try to get cash in some way?”

After several days of looking af 2–3 apartments per day, I have found the apartment I want to live in.  To confirm it, I need to provide a money order.  As landlords cannot legally ask for a deposit, they instead ask for the last month of rent.  By money order.  It seems they don't know bank transfers here.

As my money is in the Swedish bank and paying a money order by credit card is impossible (because a money order is guaranteed money, and a credit card payment can bounce, or so I'm told), I need to get 1000$ in cash, then go to a money transfer place such as Western Union, purchase the money order, and physically take it to my landlord.  Fortunately, the ATM does not reject a 1000$ takeout with my credit card (if I can take out 1000$ with my credit card, why can't I use the same to pay for a money order?  Logic is hard to find in Canadian financing).  At the MoneyMart I fill and sign several forms and have my picture taken, before I can get the money orders.  Success.

A European colleague and me share the opinion that the Canadian banking system is retarded.

Now I need two post-dated cheques.  Yes, cheques.  I plan to go to the bank just before 17, but an important seminar at work prevents me.  The seminar turns out to be very related to what I'm hired to do here, so I can't walk out before it finishes.  Now my bank (actually a credit union) is closed.  I phone the landlord to ask if they can hold the apartment for me.  If I bring the money order, then yes.

The landlord givs me nine forms to fill, not including the rental agreement (when I first arrived in Sweden, it was rather different; I sent an e-mail, the reply was "room 104 is yours", and that was all.  Never signed a thing.)  Normally, I would need a guarantor, because I've been in Canada for less than a year.  But perhaps management agrees to let me sign based on my work contract.  Let's hope so.  At least they can hold the apartment for me until then.

  • Two copies for an acknowledgment that I there will be noise due to renovations between 8AM and 5PM
  • Two copies of a form where I promise not to repaint walls or kitchen, etc.
  • One tenant information sheet
  • One new tenant move service agreement
  • One credit and employment check authorization
  • One bank form
  • One rental application.
 Does it seem like it, or are they afraid of tenants suing their landlord because renovations cause noise?

No comments: